Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Deciding to Dye

I am a fan of buying locally sourced products, and buying from small, local merchants. I have used O-Wool yarns in a few projects, and appreciate that the wool (and cotton) is raised organically, it is dyed for the most part with non-toxic dyes, and its superwash method is non-toxic.
Six Pounds of Undyed Yarn

It is also sourced within the region and much of the manufacturing is done in Philadelphia. This helps me support local businesses and keeps my carbon footprint smaller. Of course, I also like this yarn! Because I can no longer buy it at my LYS (it went kaput a few years ago), I have been ordering online -- but choosing colors online was frustrating to me.

So, since I've been dyeing and overdyeing yarn, I figured, why not just dye whatever yarn I wish to use? Also, I've become a fan of multi-colored yarns, and dyeing my own is the only way I'm going to be able to use multi-colored O-Wool.

But don't think that dyeing yarn feels like something I "have" to do. I really love being in the kitchen and playing with color. (I'm getting twitchy just anticipating the fun I'm going to have!) I have a background in design, and this is perhaps the first time I'm really getting to use my color theory education. I have many ideas for things I want to try, and I will be dyeing the yarn for the sweater I'm supposed to be patterning up. That's why this post isn't a total aside...

Today I will edit the video for the hooded cowl so I can get the pattern (already finished) to my testers, and then I will begin test-dyeing my new wool!








No comments:

Post a Comment