Monday, January 15, 2018

Knitting up the Dip Dyed

I had a couple of long waits on Friday, so I did a swatch with my new dip-dyed yarn and then started in on the toe-up socks. I didn't have a tape measure on me, so I had to start over once I tried on the toes. But I love to see how different space-dyed yarns look when knit up in different numbers of stitches, and so doing it twice wasn't a huge bummer. Also, this is worsted, so it knits up fast!

The striping so far is incredibly regular. Of course I'd like to make this into a hat now so I can see some pooling. Maybe I'll keep the socks short so I can make a little hat or cowl with the remainder. This is a pretty tame colorway, but I really like it. It has a very yummy, earthy appeal. I re-watched ChemKnit's breaking-black video, and saw that adding more vinegar to the dye bath would have gotten the yarn to absorb the remaining blue. Also, I could have left the end undyed, added vinegar to the dye bath, and dunked that end in to the remaining blue dye, for more contrast and a more striking color combination: I'd have warm browns and blue at one end. Next time!

I am just about to get Americolor black and red dyes so I will get to see how they work. This time I will try them out on the O-Wool yarn, since it's yarn I can wear against my skin, and I do need to test it to see how the blacks will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment